warning- dalaman airport duty free

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

warning- dalaman airport duty free

Postby sandybeach » 08 Jul 2013 19:22

H
just come back last week and called in at the duty free to buy some cigarettes, I used the scanner in the duty free shop to check the price of the cigarettes in £'s, the prices on display are in Euro's and TL. I was purchasing the twin pack of benson and hedges ( 2 x 200), when i got to the till the girl on the check out asked me if i wanted to buy 600 and i declined as i know the correct allowance, she then started a hard sale on the pack of 600 saying they was cheaper etc. again i declined and said no i only wanted the two pack. She placed the cigarettes in a bag and i completed the transaction using my credit card. As i left the shop i checked the receipt and it was for a greater amount than what i thought it should be, i took the cigarettes back to the shop and said i had been overcharged and i knew the price was £46 for 400, when the manager scanned the cigarettes the price shown was for £66, it was only then that i realised that she had in fact ignored the fact that i had told her twice i did not want the pack of 600 and sold me the pack of 600, (her English was very good and she did understand that i did not want them) and still gone ahead and sold them to me. The original transaction was cancelled and voided and i did purchase the 400 cigs at £46.
I have no idea why she did this nor was i offered any apology by her and it was definitely not a mistake by her. So people beware.
sandybeach

Advertisement

Re: warning- dalaman airport duty free

Postby dksbbs » 08 Jul 2013 21:13

Thanks for the warning, I will watch out for this when I am there in five weeks on the way home.

Dave
dksbbs

Postby fatblokecaver » 09 Jul 2013 19:08

As a rule we buy NOTHING at Dalaman airport since we were charged £46 for 4 small sub rolls and 4 small packs of Pringles
If we all decide NOT TO BUY ANYTHING FROM DALAMAN AIRPORT perhaps the retailers will get the message and STOP RIPPING US OFF
I have given up smoking but will buy some for a mate but not at the airport the same with any booze we need
I shall buy them in Icmeler as they are probably MUCH CHEAPER
This ripping us off has been going on for years and yet we still insist on letting it happen.
my wife and I make us up some rolls and we buy drinks drinks and crisps before we go
Worst case scenario pay to go into the lounges
fatblokecaver

Postby patsiej » 10 Jul 2013 12:04

I was buying a pack of 600 Lambert and Butler. At the till I was told that I could buy another two packs if I wanted!! There were two of us so 600 was OK but 1800 cigs between two people is very much over the allowance.

I must add that we don't smoke - the cigs were for a friend. Not worth the gamble when not for yourself.
patsiej

Postby Chris221273 » 11 Jul 2013 05:25

patsiej wrote:I was buying a pack of 600 Lambert and Butler. At the till I was told that I could buy another two packs if I wanted!! There were two of us so 600 was OK but 1800 cigs between two people is very much over the allowance.

I must add that we don't smoke - the cigs were for a friend. Not worth the gamble when not for yourself.

I thought the allowance was 200 each!?
Chris & Anita
Chris221273

Postby dksbbs » 11 Jul 2013 11:57

Chris221273 wrote:
patsiej wrote:I was buying a pack of 600 Lambert and Butler. At the till I was told that I could buy another two packs if I wanted!! There were two of us so 600 was OK but 1800 cigs between two people is very much over the allowance.

I thought the allowance was 200 each!?
Chris & Anita

You are correct.

David
dksbbs

Advertisement

Postby patsiej » 11 Jul 2013 21:59

There were two of us + 2 in-laws so 600 was ok. Sorry forgot to mention that there were 4 of us in the party. Although four of us travel together we holiday independently once there so I still think in 'couple' terms.

Patsiej
patsiej

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.