"Daily" spending money for teenagers??

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

"Daily" spending money for teenagers??

Postby Lianne » 26 Jul 2011 21:58

Hi everyone
Staying at the Bonjour with 4 teenagers and trying to decide how much to allow , per day, per teenager for spending money.
We are staying B&B so will need to cater for light lunch, dinner, drinks and extras , ice creams etc. I want to try and get them to manage their own money so want to give them a certain amount per day so they can buy everything themselves and (hopefully!!) budget, maybe saving some up for a boat trip etc. I was thinking of the equivalent of £30 per day each (luckily I am not providing it all!!!) but really have no idea whether that's reasonable? I don't want them to have too much money but don't want them not to have enough! Anyone got any thoughts??

Thanks
Lianne
New User
New User

Advertisement

Re: "Daily" spending money for teenagers??

Postby RebeccaAx » 27 Jul 2011 00:26

Hello there Lianne!

I just read your other post too, I think it's lovely you're giving the kids their own space etc, you sound like a cool mother! And I would say that £30 is around the equilvialant of 75/80 TL give or take, and that's plenty enough for me in the day time, but if they're planning on going to late bars/clubs in the evening the drinks can be a little pricey.. So just incase - get ready for them to be coming back to you and asking for a little more, haha. Plus you know what girls are like, we spend hours shopping and usually spend a bomb.. I know I do, I spend it all in my first day and come crawling back to my partner for more! :P

Hope you have a fabulous time!

Rebecca x
RebeccaAx

Postby Fanny » 27 Jul 2011 08:55

Hi Lianne, you're in exactly the same position as I was last year haha
Last year the kids had £30 a day each, given to them in the morning to spend as they liked and it was to cover whatever they did/spent. They managed it, but boat trip days were harder as it's £10 for the trip tho it did include breakfast and lunch, with drinks extra. Of course we treated them to the odd thing or two, but they did really well and found some bargain places for lunch and cheap drinks [soft].
The exchange rate was about 2.55 last year, so you may find that £30 goes further this year??
This year, I'm going for £30 a day again, but with maybe £100 on top for any items they want to buy eg pandora, jeans etc

Hope this helps
Fanny

Postby Fanny » 27 Jul 2011 08:58

I should have said too that on £30 a day, they spent up, but budgeted well! Also, we were self catering so they also chose to eat breakfast out - full english
They also went to internet cafes at least once a day, so some of their money went on that too
Fanny

Postby jayjay1950 » 27 Jul 2011 15:54

I sugested this £30 a day for my two but they said no they would like to keep it the way it is with me and their dad paying the tab each time. They have their own money for any clothes they want to buy or games of pool and stuff but no way would they entertain paying for the food.The eldest who is 19 after eating with us on a night does his own thing anyway but during the day prefers to stay with us..............you just can't get rid of some kids can you ? :D
jayjay1950

Postby Eatock08 » 27 Jul 2011 18:08

jayjay1950 wrote:I sugested this £30 a day for my two but they said no they would like to keep it the way it is with me and their dad paying the tab each time. They have their own money for any clothes they want to buy or games of pool and stuff but no way would they entertain paying for the food.The eldest who is 19 after eating with us on a night does his own thing anyway but during the day prefers to stay with us..............you just can't get rid of some kids can you ? :D

I'm 31 and going with mum and dad in September so hoping I will get treated to a couple of meals and drinks ha ha :lol:

I'd agree with the other comments £30 a day is enough for your teenagers to spend a day. I budget £50 a day just for myself :lol: and I always have money left over
Eatock08

Advertisement

Postby Lianne » 29 Jul 2011 08:13

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I feel a lot better with the £30 now but will be prepared with a little extra for trips etc. Can't wait!!
Lianne
New User
New User

Postby janeypoos » 29 Jul 2011 08:24

Am I the only one that thinks £30 a day is a lot???
I'm budgeting on £50 a day for myself and my son. We'll have normal Turk breakfast in our apartment, sandwich lunches for half the days and pide for the other half and a meal out each night, probably at Hanedan.
Am I totally out with my pricing????
I'm panicking now!! :shock: :o
janeypoos

Postby Fanny » 29 Jul 2011 09:04

Hi Janey, given your plans to make food/meals and eat at pide places, I reckon you'll be fine.
The £30 a day last year for daughter's friend covered eating out every meal, drinks, ice creams/snacks, boat trips three times a week, internet cafe once/twice a day. She also bought bits and pieces with that and it included her £10 visa money, plus whatever magazines she bought.
We're aiming for £30 each a day this year, but am taking extra just in case ............
Fanny

Postby janeypoos » 29 Jul 2011 09:15

Blimey Fanny, if she did all that with £30 then we'll be laughing on £50, I might just treat my son to an extra ice cream a day :wink: :D

I'm taking a bit extra in £ too, 'just in case' as i don't want to have to use a cashpoint or my credit card out there. Not telling him that though, lol! :)
janeypoos

Postby Fanny » 29 Jul 2011 17:02

:lol: :lol: your secret's save with us Janey!
Must say that trying to restrict us to £30 each a day is something I'm not used to - am usually like the queen and carry no money, but it's just me and daughter going this year, so we'll just have to see hahaha
She's happy enough with water through the day and I'll stock up on pop from the supermarket for the fridge
I can't drink a full large Efes cos i take my time with it, so it ends up warm - eww, so I may have to resort to vodka and pace myself :wink:
Fanny

Advertisement

Postby janeypoos » 29 Jul 2011 20:00

Fanny wrote:I can't drink a full large Efes cos i take my time with it, so it ends up warm - eww, so I may have to resort to vodka and pace myself :wink:

You lovely lady, without knowing it you have justified my reasons for drinking my Efes so quickly....to stop it getting warm, pmsl! :D

I bought a new cool bag today, a 48 can'er so I'm sure that will do us for a day at the beach, lol! OH! must remember to pack the ice blocks!!

When are you and your daughter going to be out there?
janeypoos

Postby janeypoos » 29 Jul 2011 20:00

Fanny wrote:I can't drink a full large Efes cos i take my time with it, so it ends up warm - eww, so I may have to resort to vodka and pace myself :wink:

You lovely lady, without knowing it you have justified my reasons for drinking my Efes so quickly....to stop it getting warm, pmsl! :D

I bought a new cool bag today, a 48 can'er so I'm sure that will do us for a day at the beach, lol! OH! must remember to pack the ice blocks!!

When are you and your daughter going to be out there?
janeypoos

Postby Fanny » 30 Jul 2011 08:29

we go on Mon 1 AUg and come back 22 Aug, so I think we just miss you janey :(
We used to take freezer blocks too, but that was in the good old days of 22 kg weight allowance and youngsters who never needed the full quota haha
Now we're restricted to 15kg and my daughter uses her own and most of mine too, so looks like we'll have to resort to freezing water in the top of the fridge overnight :twisted:
Fanny

Postby janeypoos » 30 Jul 2011 08:45

That's a shame, we get there early hours of 25th :(

I booked extra allowance so we've got 40kg between the 2 of us to allow for food stuff going out (tins of salmon/sardines etc) and the kilos and kilos of food I'll be bringing back!

We'll still be freezing water bottles and our Efes too for the beach but I'll take some freezer blocks too for a full day out.

I bet you can't wait :-) :-)
janeypoos

Postby Amy- Mansfield » 02 Aug 2011 10:13

i normally take £50 a day ( for everything!) but cnt always sepnd it all so may be able to manage on £30.......we'll see :lol:
Amy- Mansfield

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.