Warning about hairdressers

For all your hints and tips to make your holiday to Turkey as easy and as comfortable as possible.

Moderator: blondie

Warning about hairdressers

Postby Sara » 16 Jul 2010 10:05

Just to let you all know, that although you may agree the price at hairdressers in advance, it might be different when paying the bill! We went to a hairdressers called Joy, close to Oylum. Agreed the total price for hair cut, wash, blow dry, manicure and pedicure for both me and my daughter. Due to wanting to avoid all the misunderstandings, had confirmed the price many times before going in. However afterwards the lady told me totally different price and even I told her that this is not what we agreed, she kept insisting that it was what she had told me! Which of course was not true at all! I paid what she demanded and told her that I will definately tell everyone not to use her services - she just smiled! Looks like some of these people don't understand that we do come back to the same resort next year and will not go to their place ever again and eventually this will hurt their business... So, would definately not recommend Joy Hairdressers!
Sara

Advertisement

Re: Warning about hairdressers

Postby pat175 » 16 Jul 2010 18:53

I've never had a bad experience in icmeler with hairdressers.I always get my grandaughters hair beaded.I always ask the price and that's what I give them. You must have been unlucky.
pat175

Postby MistySunshine » 16 Jul 2010 19:15

Hi Sara,
How awful being told one price then the hairdressing demanding a higher amount. I think it is really helpful posts like these as they make you aware of potential problems. Pat seems to have been lucky as she said.
Hope this didn't spoil your holiday and you had a fab time xx :D
MistySunshine

Postby Fanny » 18 Jul 2010 18:45

Aw that's awful Sara!

Though I've never had my hair done in Icmeler, we learnt our lesson early on when OH went for a "shave". The chap ended up doing all these extra bits and pieces eg face mask etc, so much so that the price was far more than originally agreed. It was our first trip so perhaps we were naive?!

He's more hardened now though and agrees a price beforehand - and makes sure that whoever's with him just hands over that amount of money before leaving him on his own! Oh and he tends to use the barbers away from the centre of town
Fanny

Postby Sara » 20 Jul 2010 08:46

[quote="MistySunshine"]Hi Sara,
How awful being told one price then the hairdressing demanding a higher amount. I think it is really helpful posts like these as they make you aware of potential problems. Pat seems to have been lucky as she said.
Hope this didn't spoil your holiday and you had a fab time xx :D[/quote]

Nothing can spoil my holiday in Icmeler! Actually I felt that this holiday was the best I've ever had in my life :D
We had so much fun and since we spent 4 weeks there, it felt like we had all the time in the world just to enjoy everything.
Sara

Postby Doz » 20 Jul 2010 13:53

I always get my hair done over there I check the price beforehand (like the day before or something) and then pay them before they start aswell (making sure I only have that much money on me!) and then there is no problem with trying to charge extra etc. I know they do give a set price and then some hairdressers charge for conditioner and all these little things add up so best to pay and you know its done before they start :D
Doz

Advertisement

Postby Not the weakest link » 21 Jul 2010 15:41

I never knew they tried to charge for shampoo / conditioner, next it will be for the water used as well.

Theres something i dont like that the blokes are out front and the ladies are in the room doing the work but i get the feeling they wouldnt get the tip money if you left it them. Think thats whats put me off ever having me hair done in Turkey. Bit too much command and control for my liking

Hubby had one shave once but does only go armed with the appropriate money. He has Turkish shave at home as there's an turkish barber near us.

Bev
Not the weakest link

Postby Fanny » 21 Jul 2010 19:17

TBH, I wouldn't risk having a haircut on holiday and definitely wouldn't have a colour - it would totally ruin my hol if it went wrong! It's taken me a while to find a hairdresser at home who I trust, so no way would I risk spoiling my holiday taking a chance
Fanny

Postby John V » 21 Jul 2010 21:36

.........There was me fancying a Perm next time.........
John V

Postby madazahatter » 21 Jul 2010 21:57

John V wrote:.........There was me fancying a Perm next time.........

We can both go for a perm John. I fancy some extensions as well. :mrgreen:
madazahatter

Postby Doz » 22 Jul 2010 08:05

actually its always been a man who has done my hair in Turkey, I have never had a woman do it. I do often get pedicures over there and its usually woman then but hair is always done by a man.
I actually find the standard to be really really good in Turkey and wouldnt hesitate in getting my hair coloured. I have used the same salon in Turkey for the last 8 years though. The colours always same to be much more conditioning and not as harsh.
Doz

Advertisement

Postby Colette » 22 Jul 2010 18:25

Had mine cut and coloured last year, at The Mersoy with Erhan, it was brilliant, and all year I keep telling my UK hairdresser how to do it, and no one even comes close to Erhans cut.

Always get my feet done and my nails as well
Colette

Postby Lynn m » 29 Jul 2010 18:57

Colette wrote:Had mine cut and coloured last year, at The Mersoy with Erhan, it was brilliant, and all year I keep telling my UK hairdresser how to do it, and no one even comes close to Erhans cut.

Always get my feet done and my nails as well

Your hair was lovely Colette I really liked the red.

I always get my hair cut and highlighted when I am in Icmeler never had a problem yet :D

Lynn
Lynn m

Postby reesy1959 » 29 Jul 2010 19:34

I have to work every day this week, and I cant get to have my hair cut, so I will have it done in Icmeler next week for the first time.
reesy1959

Postby Not the weakest link » 17 Aug 2010 15:37

The hairdresser under our hotel this year was a pain in the bum, he kept walking round the pool every day twice day a day it felt like.

Hubby did need a hair cut so it cost £6, which was £2 cheaper than home. Then two days later he had a Turkish Shave which was £4. I went down with him the first time just to see what they were like and the cheeky bleeper hairdresser :shock: looked at the roots of my hair and tried to persuade me to get me hair coloured etc, I told him he was cheeky and I wouldnt be getting it done, then he checked my feet and nails both of which had been done the day before we flew so they were spot on - but god the hard sell couldnt be doing with it. Hubby went for the shave on his own the next time.

From memory a colour / highlights was £25 but dont know if that was including cut n blow etc, I didnt bother asking, even though its about £75 at home.

Bev
Not the weakest link

Postby Maggie B » 18 Aug 2010 11:57

My OH got his ' hair ' :wink: cut twice this year. First time on the first week was along the road from efes inn and we agreed the price the day before he got it- 15 lira which I handed over on the day. He got the nose and ears done as well as a massage and moisturised for this price which I thought was very reasonable, we didn't leave a tip because I went for a wee walk and didn't leave him any extra money :twisted: The second one was on the lane leading passed the scotia bar and that was just an on the spot decision for 10lira, but he only got the hair cut this time. However, whilst sitting outside in an attempt to get a breath of air this ' vision' appeared by my side( 6ft with green face mask on :!: ) and proceeded to twang me with what I thought was an elastic band at my eyebrow. On inspection of said eyebrow it was shown to be partly plucked. It turned out that i had been threaded- never heard of it before- and he wanted 10 lira to finish the job :!: Luckily, we were on the way to the bank and after paying for OH's hair cut I only had 5 lira left in my wallet. We had a small 'discussion' and I showed him my wallet with only 5 lira and he agreed to finish what he started :!: It was amazing :!: My eyebrows have never looked sooo good and having priced threading back here I got a wonderful bargain since it costs £10 to get it done,result :lol:
Maggie B
New User
New User

Advertisement

Postby Sandancer » 19 Aug 2010 20:13

I was surprised to read you had not heard of threading. There are several large stores who have 'threading depts' but they are quite pricey. However, in my home town I get my eyebrows threaded for £4 by an Indian lady and they are super. :D
Sandancer

• Advertisement

Return to General Holiday Tips and Advice.