Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers
Topic locked

23 - 30 May 2009: Alvaro

28 Jun 2009 12:59

A bit delayed I'm afraid - Sophie wanted to write it, but then changed her mind - but here's our review from the end of May 2009…

We came out on a night flight with T…C…, thankfully with no problems after hearing some other people's stories this year, and the standard coach transfer to the Alvaro went fine, though the comfort stop was at a new rather smart looking location this year (but with it being only 5am I couldn't quite bring myself to have my first Efes there and then, though looking back I suppose I could have claimed it was a late night rather than "beer for breakfast" :) ).

The staff at the Alvaro were most helpful with our bags and checking in, and though the sheer expanse of pine cladding in our room was a little over-whelming at first glance, we soon saw that the apartment was clean, spacious enough, and had a very nice bathroom. Time for a quick nap before breakfast at Florida (an OK full English for Rosie & I, and some rather nice looking pancakes and ice cream for Sophie). Then it was off to Alvaro pool, which we'd heard many good things about, and which did not disappoint (though it was rather cold!).

We shan't bore you with every single detail, but highlights were:

- the friendliness of Gogo, Ibo and Hakan at the Alvaro, and also the owner Daniella (and daughter Ella, of course!)
- a couple of really nice meals there as well, but no pushiness when we wanted to eat elsewhere
- Sophie and her new found friend Emma trying to con Eddie at the Lemon Tree
- one of the nicest steaks I've ever had at Venice, plus a lovely birthday cake complete with "singing" from Apo, Joseph, Hamish, Mustapha, Charlie and the rest
- a couple of nice meals at Villa Kontes, which is even better now Korsan is a bit quieter (not sure where the reputation for pushiness is coming from, though maybe it's just because they know us by now)
- and finally, my first wander around the Old Village, despite having been so many times

We'll put up a few of our photos on the appropriate forum as soon as possible…

All-in-all a lovely relaxing week, a very pleasant change of pace from The Marti, and hopefully the first of many stays at The Alvaro.

Let's just hope The Private is as nice in August :)

a couple of very nice meals in the Sports Bar, with Mustapha still as friendly as ever. Though it's very different from when Rosie and I first went back in 1999 (I used to love the sparklers each night - anyone else remember them?) it's still one of our favourites
Topic locked