Just Back ----My review

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

Just Back ----My review

Postby smc4761 » 12 Oct 2008 16:29

back late last night from my 2 weeks thought I would share my thoughts and experiences

Getting there and Back

I had booked the holiday indepentantly for the first time and was a bit apprehensive but all was fine. Fligth from Glasgow was on time. Flew with Onur Air whioch is the turkish no frills flight, no food, no films or radio. You could buy snacks etc on board.

Arrived at Dalaman at 03.15 only to be greeted by the most horrendous noise. A flight from Gatwick had arrived a few minutes before us and a mother and daughter??? were screaming abuse at each other right across the airport. The daughter had a very young baby a few months old, nice for the baby to hear all this.There were about 400 people in the baggage reclaim area and I think evryone stopped and stared at this torrent of abuse between them. Makes you proud to be British, NOT

Found the shuttle bus transfer OK and guess who was on our transfer bus, yes the screaming family from the airport. The bus waited for about 30 minutes to wait for another flight to come in after that off we go. Could things get any worse, well yes

About 10 minutes into the journey one of the passengers at the front yells, people we have to get off the bus the driver is all over the road, he must be drunk or something. A few minutes later he repeats this, but as its about 04.30 by this point most folk are asleep and his wife tells him toshut up. Anyway the transfer was fine and we made it to Marmaris in 1.5 hours. A few drop offs there and we got dropped off next. The screaming family were dropped off at the Galeria Park hotel so if you were there for the first 2 weeks in October you may have seen them

The return journey was fine, the plane was on time just sad to be back

OUT AND ABOUT IN ICMELER

We stayed in the old village same apartments as last year, not ICR,They are about the highest point in Icmeler and there great views over the entire town. They are also open all year and are in a quiet residential area so lovely and quiet just what we wanted

A few of the restautants in the old village were closed down completely since last May, DOST and one of the restaurants just up from OZZYs. A few otheres in the village were also closed recently. Most of the reswtaurants in the village were generally quiet. Some nights we were the only ones in a restaurant

Even in the town it seemed quite quiet, some places were busy Venice, Love Boat but many had few customers. Yet during the day the beach seemed busy. were they all in AI hotels. There seemed to be a lot of AI wristbands on show and I noticed some signs in Russian particularly near to the Munamar hotel

Took the dolmus to Turunc which I can recommend, the views down into Icmeler are stunning. Tight twisting roads that rise very steeply. Got the water taxi back from Turunc to round off a good day out

Walked into Marmaris from Icmeler, a lovely walk and fairly easy as its mainly flat. saw the new dolphin sanctuary?? just before we got into Marmaris

The hassle was almost non existant, the only thing I hate is that you cant browse in a shop before they pounce on you. Leave me alone and maybe I will buy, I am sure that others may feel the same

PRICES

Before I went I was a bit worried about the prices after reading a few horror storis on here about price increases. Boat trips seemed the same price as the last few years, Water Taxi has been the same price for about 4 years, dolmus is up very slightly. Still get 4 tee shirts for tenner, 3 watches for atenner, etc same as the past few years. The exchange rate first week was crap, 2.15 to £1 but by end of hiliday was 2.28 to £1

RESTAURANTS AND BARS

Now I dont know if the prices were the way they were cos it was quiet, but in most bars/ restaurants especially in old village Efes was only 2 lira for a bottle. Meals were very well priced, especially chicken dishes and portions were huge as normal. We ate a lot in old village and all were excellent, OZZYS, 3 times, Love star, Guys and Dolls, Mr Chef, Deja Vu. We also went to Masala, which does great Indian food, very well priced, Peking which was also very good. A few folk in our aprtment wet to Harry Rams in village and said that was also very good

Even in town many places were selling beer at 2 lira a bottle, local drinks 5 lira and cocktails either 5 lira or 10 lira, at BOGOF. maybe it was an end of season thing to get people in

most lunchtimes spent on Cafe Anne on the beach front. best tomato soup in the world ever, the cakes as well are out of this world and they make the best cappucino in Icmeler

Only saw 2 places closed, Venice on 10 October for 3 days and Korsan just up from it. Dont know why Venice should be hassling as the palce was packed most nights, just a bit too loud for me and OH

Talking of loud, the 4 bars at Dream 3 bells, Blue Rainbow and 2 otheres cant remeber names, the noise from these bars was just ridiculous. 4 bars all blaring out 4 different tunes. It must suit some but not me i prefer to be able to hear/talk with people

Spent a good few nights in Champion bar, just opposite Buffalo bar, great prices, great cocktails and lovely friendly staff especially Rosie

A few people have mentioned getting ripped off, extra drinks added etc, did not encounter that once. Only slight rip off was in one of my favourite restaurants, Captain Bullshits, not a rip off as such, but I love soup as a starter in Turkey and have it most nights. Captain BUllshits charged 7 lira, for soup, the going rate seemed to be about 5 lira, even the loveboat dont charge that much. still i knew the price before I ordered but would not go back there for that starter

This was our 5th time to Icmeler in last 5 years. Would I go back. Dont know really we have done all the trips, been to most bars and restaurants and feel that maybe a change would be good

Hope I have not bored you too much and if you have still to go to Icmeler enjoy yourselves

Stewart
smc4761

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews