2nd trip of 2012 - 11th to 25th August

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

2nd trip of 2012 - 11th to 25th August

Postby noodles1609 » 01 Sep 2012 07:00

Flew from Manchester on Jet 2 - no issues at all, great leg room, flight left on time and arrived about 30 minutes early. However - Manchester Airport Escape Lounge - if you book this, be sure of how you book. I am a member of Airport Angel, which in the main is a turn up and see if they've got room scheme, but with my bank account, I have full membership to book lounges in advance and pay for guests, which I did, but the terribly snooty lady in the Escape Lounge insisted I was a bit stupid thinking I'd actually booked and paid, and refused to let us in as they were full. Oddly, she also refused to look at my booking confirmation email, wonder why! Instead, we went in the Wilmslow Lounge, how lovely it was in there, so much more relaxed than the Escape Lounge, and one phone call to Airport Angel meant we were in there for free too. Hopefully snooty lady now knows better.

Tried out duty free at Dalaman arrivals for the first time, just a teeny bit more pricey than the one in departures but still a great deal cheaper than the UK or on the planes - Amber Leaf tobacco for example - £56 for 10 at Manchester, £48 on the plane £42 at Dalaman arrivals. The staff in there were quite insistent that we could buy 3 litres of spirits each, but we stuck with one, I've been there too many times and seen too many people come straight out of the shop and getting stopped on their way out of the exit, so do be careful. The transfer was waiting outside, nice new minibus that didn't hang around, arrived at our drop in under 90 minutes. We were lucky enough to be staying in a friends apartment this time, he was there to greet us, so a speedy drop of the cases was done and then straight out to meet up with some other friends and off we went.

We went fishing once with Savas, our usual boat, really didn't expect to catch much at all in August as it's way too hot, and indeed we didn't! We had a much longer trip than normal though as he didn't have anyone booked in for the afternoon so we went a long way out, further than the 5 bays trip did a couple of days later. He was trawling for tuna all the way out and back again, and gave us a bag full when we got back. Our good friends at the Pig & Whistle cooked a tuna for us with salad, it was a little off putting as it arrived whole on the plate, but it was absolutely delicious. Booked the 5 bays trip with ICR, decent enough trip, no complaints, just one observation - it's been said a number of times that they don't book more than 30 people on the boat, true enough, there were 30 of us on it, only that was the boat full, it's a smaller boat, so it's not one of the big ones where you'll have lots of sunbeds to choose from, I really enjoyed the day, but the chaps were a little bored with the swim stops by the afternoon.

Made the most of the 2 weeks by doing mainly nothing, tried out lots of new places too - I'll comment below on these. Went on the beach at Coco Beach - don't be fooled by shouts of "free strawberry juice" - it's 9tl, but it is rather good! Also went right at the end on Patricks beach, the water there is very clear and there are hundreds and hundreds of fish, I could stand in shoulder depth water and see to the bottom, if you stand still the fish come and nibble you, and they will eat from your hand. Quite magical round there. The temperature was pretty hot every single day, it was getting a bit relentless by the end, but after a few days you adjust to it and it's ok, just keep taking the water in. Saw the temp in Marmaris one day of 57 degrees, that had to be a sun temp, most days in Icmeler was between 40 and 47 but didn't see a night below 30. Bit of a downer to come back to an English August to find the same temperatures here, only in fahrenheit!

Eating and drinking:
Erdem Cafe - right on the beach, close to the Aqua, easy to miss. Drinks are a little more than other places, but the food is very very cheap, and very good. The pizza's are great and incredibly good value, and the view over the bay as the sun is setting just can't be beaten.
Coco Beach - the staff here are great, and the food good too. I really love their salmon tagiatelle and had it a couple of times, the second time was entirely differrent from every other time I've had it, so I guess the lesson there is everywhere is worth more than one shot, cause if that had been the first time, I wouldn't have ordered it again! Back there in September for my birthday party, Sandra has already sorted my cake but I'm adamant I'm not wearing a pointy birthday hat!
Jasmin - so easy to miss, directly opposite the entrance to the Private Hotel, we've passed it by for years. It's one of Icmelers hidden gems, everything about it is just lovely, give it a go, full English is great, but the bacon sandwiches are not to be missed. Evening meals are 2 for 35tl and are superb, and they look after you like old friends, can't recommend the Jasmin highly enough.
Yakamoz Beach - we've had drinks here before but not eaten, food was ok, nothing spectacular except my OH's pizza, which he devoured with much praise (if you want a run down on the best and worst in Icmeler for Margarita Pizza, my OH has tested just about everywhere!), prices pretty decent though and the staff are good, attentive but not intrusive, and being on the beach, lovely views as you eat.
Mr Cook - just round the corner from Yakamoz, opposite the entrance to Casa & Blanca. Another quiet unassuming hidden gem. Lovely people, great food and good prices. Their chicken kebab wrap is the best I've ever tasted, and I always have to giggle at the "crap salad" on the menu, might give it a go one day!
Pig & Whistle - another one that's easy to pass by, this is a very charming bar and restaurant close to Chateau Du Ville, opposite the entrance to Munamar Beach. Run by a very lovely family, Rudolph and Kumru will make you incredibly welcome, it's spotlessly clean and is a tranquil haven a stones throw from the beach.
Champion Bar - always thought of this place as a cheap and cheerful, which is exactly what it is, but the food is really good, worth a shot, and another high on the list of the OH's Margarita pizza reviews!
Tintins - similar to Champion, cheap and cheerful, but the food is plentiful and very well priced, overall a good standard of bar with very good prices, certainly worth a sit down - great cocktails too!
3(4) Bells - all the years I've been going here, the standard never changes, it has to be one of the most consistently good places to eat and drink in Icmeler. Not so sure about the Christmas tree, guess it's a little quirky, but I might have taken the labels off the water bottles first, but that's just me! Great atmosphere, great food, great staff, good prices. The place to go for a Sunday Roast, or try their Korean menu - wow!
Botanic - We never did go to Miami Bar, think we probably missed out, but now we've got Botanic. What a lovely place to just relax. Lovely service, some marvellous tales to be told, great location and it's just a total chill out zone.
Rush bar - nice place, but was a little disappointed with the food, decently priced but not somewhere we'd return to for a meal. Staff are great and very welcoming, so for drinks we would go back for sure.
Love Star - another new one on us, a little way out beyond the 3 bells on the way to the old village but worth the trek, the food is amazing, the prices are good, the service is attentive. Definitely a keeper on the list.
Florida - Left this til last, have avoided the Florida for the last few visits after a bad experience had previously. We were talked into giving them another shot so we did. I appreciate it gets a lot of good reviews, and lots of people love it, but honestly, I wouldn't return there if I was being paid to do so. So many lovely places to eat in Icmeler where so many staff make an effort to make you feel welcome. Not so in the Florida. From the permanently miserable owner, to the cranky grumpy staff that never crack a smile, we felt like intruders and couldn't wait to leave. The pizzas they presented us with were frozen not fresh, and were not cheap. Everywhere else you feel like nothing is too much trouble, in the Florida the opposite was true - everything was too much trouble! Just our opinion, and I know it's not shared by many, but there is no way we'll ever give them any of our money again!

All too soon our time was over, or so I thought! My OH decided to stay on while I returned for work. The transfer back was swift to say the least, they don't hang about! Consequently we arrived way too early for the check in desks - here's my airport tip if you arrive too early too - they give you a number of check in desks for your flight, if they aren't open, queue at the first desk - this is the one they open first, then they open the rest of them 30 minutes later :) . Had a lovely look round all the cosmetics and fragrances, well worth buying if you fancy a bit of a treat, they are very very generous with their free gifts! I bought some eye shadow and was given a full size bottle of perfume! Excellent.

Just time to get all the washing done and I'll be heading back again for trip number 3. By the way, I returned on day 92 of my visa, no issues at all going through.
noodles1609

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews