14th to 21st October

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

14th to 21st October

Postby noodles1609 » 23 Oct 2011 12:19

We booked a last minute package with J2 to get our final fix for the year having been out already for a week in May and 2 weeks in July. We'd planned September but the prices were just too much. Flew from East Midlands, have to say what a lovely little airport it is, keeps the OH happy when there is a smoking area beyond passport control! Prices in the bars not too bad for a pint, food a bit on the dear side though. Interestingly, there are signs all over saying you can take a carrier bag from one of their shops onto ANY flight in addition to your handluggage allowance, could add an extra few kilos if you're flying RAir or any other with just the hand luggage allowance. Flight was about half an hour late setting off, but no great shakes as the gate was right next to the bar, so we just had another pint! Good flight, lots of legroom, nice crew, arrived about on time too. Straight through to visa and passport control with no queues and onto collect the cases. Transfer was brilliant, only 3 couples on the coach, one Marmaris stop, one other in Icmeler and us last. From landing just gone 9:30pm we were in the hotel dumping the cases by 11:15pm.

Stayed at the Kapmar. Our first time there, and I think I should really reserve full judgement for another time. Can't fault the hotel at all, good sized rooms, first time we've had a hairdryer! Good sized balcony and very clean. Room was cleaned daily with towels changed, bedding changed every other day. The only thing is, and it may just be because it was the end of the season, we found absolutely no atmosphere there whatsoever. We're not ones for staying in the hotel 24/7 but we do like to go in the bar in the afternoon, and perhaps before and after we go out in the evening. We went in the first day and didn't bother again. Can't fault the staff, very polite (although the Manager was a little bit scary!) and very friendly, but just no buzz to the place.

We wondered what we'd find at the end of season, having not been out so late before. It was strange to see Icmeler so quiet, but not unpleasant at all. If you like a really quiet time wandering around and soaking up the rays, then it's a good time to go I think. A shame that some of our favourites closed during the week, but that's the chance to you take - No bacon butties or pancakes in Mr Cook, only a couple of days to watch the world go by from the Pig & Whistle. As usual we were looked after superbly by Ibo and the team at Broadway, their breakfast is brilliant, as is most of their menu. Wonderful food in the 3 Bells, can heartely recommend the hot beef baguette - yum! No Name Bar on an evening was good as usual, maintaining their generous amounts of vodka in the buy one get one free offer.

Now, the weather - heck, it was cold on a night! A friend said to pack jumpers, they weren't wrong! Our first 2 days were very cloudy and didn't make it beyond just warm, then Monday was rain, and honestly, it was cold. Tuesday onwards was sunny and lovely but it didn't really get to hot until Thursday - and still the nights were cold, as soon as that sun disappears behind the mountains (around 6pm) the temperature drops swiftly. It's definitely not a time of year for cotton dresses in the evening, however it was a new and interesting look to team them with a fleece hoodie and ugg boots! Seriously, the evenings are cold so be prepared!

The market was still the market, still with rude stall holders that rip you off. Best advice, pay the price you want to pay for what you want, don't be pursuaded to part with anymore than a fair price and check what's going in the bag. Any stall holder that has a problem with that and tries to rush you along is probably out to be a little less than honest. We ended up with tshirts in 3 different sizes despite me telling the OH to walk away, but he knew best lol. I have to laugh at the total rudeness of the ladies that sit on the tills in the discount supermarket and Tansas, it takes a special kind of person to be THAT rude to customers, and in a way I have to take my hat off to them, it's quite a talent they have. We were also treated very badly in the shop next to Kingsland Chinese. They had put the price of their cigarettes up (as had everyone as there was a tax increase) but they'd added quite a bit more, so OH said no thank you when we'd asked the price. The guy behind the till called him back and just let rip with a torrent of abuse, totally uncalled for, then several others arrived from no where to join in. Seems they were looking to pick a fight for nothing. I don't often lose my temper but I did do a good Basil Fawlty that shut them up momentarily so we made our escape. It closed the following day so perhaps it was just frustration at the lack of business. That said, in many many trips to Icmeler that has never happened to us before, and we certainly won't ever spend any money there in the future, so who's the loser? I'm just glad that wasn't our first experience of our first trip, cause they didn't give a good impression at all of what Icmeler has to offer the world.

A couple of things we found out for next season - the bank machines in the square near the Kapmar are being moved to the top of the canal between the Sports Bar and Florida. They started the work on this on Friday as we were leaving. Apparently where the bank machines are now is going to be made into a big square for entertainment and festivals - can't wait for that, think it'll look great. Sadly though, no return of the canal stalls, heard a rumour that the "powers that be" at the larger hotels in that area have enough influence to put a stop to them returning, which would be a shame, as the AI they are offering is threatening to kill off more of the heart of Icmeler too. Market type stalls are going to be further up the road at the top of the canal - walking straight down toward the main road to Marmaris from the canal where the bank machines will be - Broadway bar is also here, they are going to be further down on the right. I think there is crazy golf already and a park and cafe to the left of the road where they will be on the right. That said, things change, so it might not be so next year, but we were told this by a few different people.

Transfer back was great, the road is almost finished, which makes it much quicker over the mountains. Prices in the airport way too high as usual, but some good offers in duty free. Flight was again about half an hour late leaving and was absolutely packed, but still good leg room and a great flight was had. Back out through East Midlands pretty quick. Great holiday, weather a bit dodgy and chilly nights, but a whole new and interesting experience of Icmeler at that time of year.
noodles1609

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews