25th Aug - 8th Sept Prestij apartments

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

25th Aug - 8th Sept Prestij apartments

Postby Keith » 23 Sep 2011 19:49

Have been looking forward to hols for ages as work has been stressful and Mandy had been given her notice after 15 years at the same spot. Have also been on forum checking out different eating and drinking places, and generally what I was going to see in Icmeler this year. I have really been like a big kid counting the days down. Mandy says I should know better at my age after all I am only 51 years young.
The day arrives to leave but is going to be a proper chew. Me and Mandy, our George 16 and one of his pals from school Aiden 16 are all flying from Newcastle with Thomson’s. Only trouble is Georges GCSEs results are released on same day after 10 o’clock, he then has to go to Darlington to enrol at sixth form collage, but needs results and grades to determine which course he will go on. Cannot enrol till after midday and flight leaves Newcastle at 15.40. Hay ho we manage with Mandy’s dad driving us all around prior to going to airport. Oh and Georges results were excellent, he had done really well. We arrive at Newcastle and check in with no queues or hold ups and are sitting in the departure lounge (bar) within half an hour of arriving. Check boards and see boarding time fast approaching. Called twenty minutes early and straight on to plane. Seats are a bit tight with not much leg room and captain says good tail wind and he knows some short cuts so will be in Dalaman in less than four hours. Flight fine, couple of drinks and nibbles and little doze till I start snoring and Mand gives me a nudge. Touchdown in Dalaman with departing temp of 8 degrees at Newcastle and 35 degrees at 21.50 in Dalaman. Stand for 10 minutes at visa and another 10 minutes at passport control. I don’t know how I do it but I always pick the slowest queue.
Head down the stairs to collect bags. Terminal busy as two other planes have arrived at same time. Bags all present and correct and head out of doors and down ramp to car park. Spot driver with name board and all get loaded into nice air con mini bus. Driver asks any toilet, fag or supermarket stops required? Tell him just straight to Icmeler. An hour and ten minutes later we are heading down mountain road into Marmaris and it is now I start with the old tingle running up and down my spine knowing we are only minutes away from Icmeler. Arrive at Prestij just before midnight and are met by Carl and Susie (friends we met in Icmeler 6 years ago) and introduced to new staff and some familiar faces. The usual kisses cuddles and slaps on the back and a nice cool efes and cider for me and Mand. The holidays have started officially now!!
First morning we go down stairs and are met with more familiar members of staff and more kisses and cuddles. Heat is overpowering 45 degrees on first day. I am going to be sweating for two weeks if it carries on like this. I am not complaining, just comparing the weather with back home. Pool is same as ever with plenty of sun beds. The apartments are very busy which is making Ramazan walk about with a smile on his face all day long. First night we head out for a walk around old village area and end up at Romance. The busiest place we had seen all night so asked for a table for 14 and had a meal. Service and food were excellent and had the usual show, gay belly dancer (why you not claaaaaaap) dancing waiters and dancing on the bar. Everybody was enjoying the atmosphere and all had a good night. Went to beach following day and just chilled out watching the world go by. Had a bit of craic on beach with sun bed man who was saying resort very quiet and he would be back in Marmaris next year. Did not leave beach till after 6 o’clock and called into the Demirciogla to see some friends who were stopping here. We didn’t leave here till after 1 o’clock in the morning after having a good drink at the bar, a great meal, a pool party, break dancers and female belly dancer and Turkish dancing. Vince does run a tight ship but really enjoyed our evening here. He made us feel really welcome and would seriously think about coming and staying here at some stage. Also one of the older waiters was a fantastic dancer and kept us all entertained. I didn’t get his name but I am sure some of the regular forum members will know who he was. Had wanted to do ICR boat trip, but Ramazan who owns the apartments has his own boat so felt obliged to do a trip with him. Did turtle beach and the mud baths. Good day had by all and we did see one turtle. Had two or three meals and evenings in Three Bells and could not fault the food. Robot man and MJ and break dancers and the usual waiters dancing on the bars and street, all good fun though even MJ!!Best meal was in Friends. Seventeen of us that night but all food brought out together and very prompt. The lads worked hard that night keeping us supplied but had a good laugh with them as the evening started to quieten down and they could relax a little bit. We ate at the apartments and enjoyed a Turkish night. Food was excellent and cheaper than down in the centre. Worst meal and night was Dream Boys. We should not have gone in really as the place was fairly quiet, only four other tables occupied and this was at 8.30. Service was slow, food was poor had to ask every time we wanted another drink, and getting bill at end was like pulling teeth. Even the bill was incorrect. I think the stalls’ missing from the canal has greatly affected businesses along the canal so probably under a bit of pressure. Had also wanted to do Tandoori Sizzler but ran out of time. Now there’s an idea, come for three weeks next time. As I said before the apartments were full, and we usually come two weeks earlier, but I was surprised by how quiet the resort was. I noticed a lot of folk just wandering about, but plenty of wrist bands on show so the AI hotels are having an effect. Also I think things at home are still uncertain with the recession and job security worries for a lot of folk. I think next year there could well be a lot of either closed businesses or a lot less staff working in the bars and restaurants. Our local for the past few years was De ja vu but there was only Touran running the show now and the atmosphere had totally gone.
I have to say though the atmosphere in the apartments was great with a good bunch of lads working in the bar and waiting on the tables. All the folk staying seemed to get on and I have met some truly great folk this year. From all ages and all parts of the country everybody was relaxed and there to enjoy their holidays. Also met Carol from the forum and her husband Charlie, and had plenty of chats about Icmeler and the forum. Have spoken to several folk who have already booked up to come back next year at the same time. I know a lot of people have been talking about changes, and the fact they don’t like them, but unfortunately they are inevitable. Mandy and I came to Icmeler in 1987 and I can tell you there have been many changes. The canal, beach, supermarkets, shops. There was only one street running parallel to the beach that had a couple of bars and a couple of restaurants. There were no boats or boat trips from the beach; you had to get the bus into Marmaris. The Wednesday market was on the ground where the Tansas is now. You could have had a drink in every bar and something to eat in every restaurant and come back to the hotel sober and having the munchies!!You could walk from our hotel (Kanaria) to the beach along the canal, cause there was no water in it then. Chips, you could not get a single chip anywhere in Icmeler and the ice cream, I don’t know what they did to it but I didn’t taste like ice cream. The old village, nobody ever went there as it seemed to be too far away too walk too. Oh and the place was full of German holiday makers. Changes are just a necessary evil, but I don’t think Icmeler will ever become a smaller Marmaris. It’s much too nice to spoil.
Time to go home, cases to pack and the worst bit for me is the saying goodbyes. I am definitely getting worse; it is now a standard joke with the friends that know me and the staff at the apartments. Keith has been known to shed the odd tear or three. I don’t know what’s the matter with me. I am twenty odd stone and 6 foot 2 tall and I suddenly turn into a blubbering wreck. Come on man pull yourself together, but it is this place, I hate leaving it.
Transfer turns up on time (shame) and we are on our way to Dalaman. Arrive at airport after an hour and a half and get checked in straight away. Twenty minutes later we are sitting at Mackie Dees looking at the prices £10 for meal deal. We are called early for the plane and get straight on and get our seats. I must have grown as the seats are tighter and I defiantly have less leg room. The plane takes off twenty minutes early and pilot says we will be back in Newcastle by 1.20 am. Good flight, no bumps and smooth touchdown. Have to queue for 35minutes at Newcastle to show passports. What’s that about? We didn’t stop and pick up passengers between Dalaman and Newcastle. We had already shown the passports three times at Dalaman airport. Yes we are back home to the land of little jobsworths!!
Sorry it’s so long but I just love talking about the place and the people I have met there! Roll on next year, I’ll be back!!
Keith

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews