L'etoile hotel (non ICR) 23/7 - 6/8 long review

Holiday reviews submitted by real holidaymakers

Moderator: blondie

L'etoile hotel (non ICR) 23/7 - 6/8 long review

Postby Not the weakest link » 16 Aug 2010 15:52

Going to Dalaman from Manchester 23 July.

Had a stress free check in at Thomas Cook counters, no huge queues so that was good. Luggage was surprisingly about 2kg under – but we did only have 15kgs each. Wouldn’t like to go self catering with only 15kgs though.

We pre booked our seats row 3, last rows to be called out to board but first off and at the Visa desks before other had alighted.

Then we had the problem with our non ICR transfer - We had a coach transfer anyway as we were on a Thomas Cook package. But thought we’d try Rain Transfer, because it was £70 return for 3 of us so thought that was worth it.

We duly went to TC desk in car park said we’d booked private transfer and were just letting them know. Then went to the Rain desk and he couldn’t find our booking, I showed him the email confirmation but it had a reference number on but not our name and address and where staying etc. Which I hadn’t noticed. So we had to wait for him to sort it out. I had the feeling it was going to go pear shaped and wondered whether to tell him to leave it and we’d see if we had missed our coach or not. But daughter wasn’t keen at all on the coach.

In the end they had no record of our booking, thank god I had ticked to pay driver at the airport instead of by paypal. So check your booking forms as I did have problems with their website when booking.

We trooped to TC desk they were really helpful, as really we had visions of being stranded or something. Of course we had missed our coach ages before as over an hour had passed by. We nearly had to split up and travel on 2 separate coaches, but luckily 4 people had got a taxi transfer so the 3 of us could travel together.

We arrived about 4am at the L’etoile hotel which isn’t an ICR hotel. We have only ever gone AI once before and that was to Olu Deniz which was fab, however the food did leave a lot to desire. There was a lot of guessing what it was, or the most off putting descriptions of food if there was a label e.g. fish soup, boiled chicken, cauliflower hash, chicken blister (which looked like chicken burger). They cooked omelettes for breakfast and pancakes for breakfast which were fine, unlike congealed scrambled egg. We ate breakfast out about 3 times and once at Pier 15 which is owned by hotel and you get 25% of the food bill and it was as nice as any breakfast I’ve had in Icmeler and it didn’t have those yucky frankfurters unlike in the hotel.

It did cater for the Turkish people staying there and the scandanavians, germans etc not really for the brits. Unless you count spag bol and chips which were always available but the lunch spag napolitan hardly had any sauce on it. The snack menu was much nicer available 2-4 nice burgers, spag bol but with loads of sauce to put on, hot onions, chips or cut up cold chicken with some salad available.

Air conditioning was on 3-7pm, and 10pm-7am not really cold enough I had the thermostat on 5oC but it stayed at one temperature it was centrally controlled.

Pool was chocker block, only got a sunbed once in the fortnight and that was because we couldn’t sleep because the aircon broke on the last Thursday so we were up early. People were being very selfish putting towels out at 11.30 the night before, people must have complained because a notice appeared saying if put out before 7am they will be removed, that’s how we managed to get the sunbed at 8am, the lad who sauntered down at 12 midday asked where’s me towel gone was it here, we said no.

Being so close to the beach was lovely although you couldn’t get an AI drink on the beach you only had to go back across the promenade to get a drink and maybe sit in the shade.

The restaurant although open with no walls was so hot, there was no aircon in the enclosed restaurants at all apart from windows being opened and when we were there average afternoon temps were 44oC and one day it hit 50oC if those tourist information huts temperature guage was accurate.

Because it was so so hot we didn’t walk far mainly because I couldn’t cope with it at all, despite going regularly in mid August for the past 7 years. We ate at Pier 15 twice, Cupids for breakfast twice, Richards Place mainly for drinkies and about 3 meals there and Friar Tucks chippy.

The square looked lovely with the fountains etc we never actually noticed the crazy golf.

Usual hassle from hairdressers, trip people, not so bad for restaurants but I had the odd little conversation and a few sarcastic comments like why you go AI, so this particular bloke got a look and told because we wanted to.

A lot of the restaurants were having a bit of a price war, in the square especially i think they were cheaper than on the main road at Vinces or Richards. about 15lira for some set meals, but to be honest i was sick of chicken because it was on at the hotel nearly every day, I craved a pizza which is quite sad I know.

We did notice that the souvenir shops have gone up a lot I think in price, we bought 1 T shirt from the underground market from the stall that does heavy metal / indie T shirts. But didn’t buy any other clothes they’re cheaper over here from the likes of Matalan etc.

I want to go back next May for a week on our own as hubby is 50 but think it will be a last minute thing as prices for flights are dear - I think anyway for May, but i've started saving already :lol: . Also we’re considering trying Bonjour Boutique apartments for the proper summer holiday as youngest daughter didn’t like being in a big hotel she prefers small and friendly but we’re going to take her friend with us as big sister wont be going.

Sorry its so long a review but I know I like lots of information and I’ve missed loads out.
Not the weakest link

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Return to Holiday Reviews