Making a stand!!!

Click to enter the holiday forum for both Marmaris and Turunc.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Making a stand!!!

Postby flora79 » 03 Sep 2008 14:36

Hey there,

I thought that after reading some of the comments on icmeler forum that I would make a satand for Marmaris.

I was first and foremost an Icmelerite thinking that Marmaris was just another Blackpool.

Having spent several weeks and months there over the past few years I have come to realise that Marmaris can be as wonderful as anywhere in Turkey provided you avoid the tourist traps.

I always look at the Marmaris site but as it is poorly used have felt little call to post there.

So, here it is the post that will hopefully get the ball rolling. If we want the site to be more widely used then we need to use it ourselves!!!!!

I love Marmaris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura
flora79

Advertisement

Postby reesy1959 » 03 Sep 2008 14:45

Hi Flora

I was the opposite to you, and I holidayed a few times in Marmaris, before moving to Icmeler. I still love Marmaris and would go back to Marmaris for a holiday as long as I could get a good deal from the Travel Agent.

I always go to Marmaris a few times on each of my holidays to Icmeler.
reesy1959

Postby flora79 » 03 Sep 2008 14:56

I think that both places have their charms but Marmaris is really growing on me, especially as I spend a lot of time there out if season...

It is a true working turkish town in the winter with minimal tourism. Much more going on than Icmeler...
flora79

Postby celine2002uk » 06 Sep 2008 07:13

Hi now we always stay in Marmaris but only as the A/I hotels are cheaper but we do love Icmeler :D
Plus my daughter loves Marmaris for all its shops :lol:
celine2002uk

Postby Colette » 06 Sep 2008 12:38

Laura I would love to see this Marmaris Forum used more, I am going to Icmeler on Sept 29th and am going to visit the castle in Marmaris this year with Dimrie and co.

I also want to visit the marina and some old apartments we stayed in as well at some point :D
Colette

Postby flora79 » 09 Sep 2008 14:09

It would be great to see this part of the site used more...

I'm a Marmaris convert, it's really not all that brash, you just have to stop and look for the treasures...
:lol: :lol:
flora79

Advertisement

Postby morh » 10 Sep 2008 06:16

I agree.

You dont really need to be amidst all the noise/karaoke bars, etc. if you dont really want to. Theres always nice little eating places and bars tucked away in sides streets and corners. Its amazing what you find when you just wander around.

Personally we now prefer the Armutulan area in Marmaris as opposed to being down the main part.
morh

Postby sunluvr » 12 Sep 2008 21:12

Spent a lovely couple of days in Marmaris in August, one with my OH and one with our daughter. Have booked to go back to Icmeler in October on an impulse really and it was only afterwards that I thought how nice it would have been to go to Marmaris for a change. Still undecided about whether to change our digs or not. As long as it's not too expensive we may still do that.
sunluvr

Postby Jula » 12 Sep 2008 21:46

I'm just back from 2 weeks in Armutalan,Marmaris we had a great time it can be as quiet or as noisy as you want it to be and i have to say it didn't remind me of Blackpool at all!
Jula

Postby sunluvr » 27 Sep 2008 12:45

Apartments changed - off to Marmaris in Oct. Will still visit Icmeler to visit people we made friends with but hoping to meet some new lovely people in Marmaris. I'm looking forward to going someplace a wee bit different, so am getting excited. :D
sunluvr

Postby reesy1959 » 27 Sep 2008 12:47

Have a great time in Marmaris, dont forget to come over to Icmeler and visit us all :lol:
reesy1959

Advertisement

Postby Jula » 28 Sep 2008 10:28

Enjoy your holiday Sunluvr, where you staying now then?
Jula

Postby sunluvr » 03 Oct 2008 22:27

Hiya Jula and Reesy

We're staying in apartments on (or in?) Longbeach now. The best of it is the holiday company we originally booked the flights and apartments with (unfortunately not ICR) told us they were going to charge £40 pp to change and we booked the apts in Marmaris for £23pp for 8 nights! Anyhoo really looking forward to going back I'm kinda hooked. Reesy we will defo come through to Icmeler at least one evening as I plan to go and visit the guys in the Alvaro Lemon Tree. I didn't spend much time with them in August and I want to make up for it :D
sunluvr

Postby victoria b » 30 Oct 2008 16:36

i for one love marmaris. I can walk around without anyone recognising me and i love the different alleys and streets with no michael jackson or tina turner. I love the fact I can hear live music and i love to sit by the marina just people watching without anyone trying to drag me up for cha cha slide song. in fact i think its even cheaper than icmeler. this year ive been 4 times to icmeler but spent most of the time in marmaris
victoria b

Postby morh » 30 Oct 2008 17:17

Marmaris was always a favourite of ours but we decided to try other parts of Turkey and also visited many other countries. Enjoyed every single holiday no matter where we holidayed. One of our holidays this year was back to Marmaris.

Agree with Victoria B - people watching is great. We enjoyed sitting at the marina having a meal/few drinks.

As stated in an earlier post we particularly liked Armutulan area of Marmaris but getting into Bar Street/Marina area is so easy with dolmuses running every few minutes.

I will definately return to Marmaris (though I do like Icmeler too).
morh

Postby Silverfox BC » 02 Nov 2008 17:55

We have stayed several times in Marmaris although at first we believed it was another Blackpool but we soon found our it wasn't and we have made some great friends there, we go over several times when we stay in Icmeler, have found some great eating places at the back of the Marina in the old town and spend quite a lot of evenings sitting with friends who own one of the boats in the Marina having a nice drink, chatting and watching the world go by.
Silverfox BC

Advertisement

Postby salford_steve » 06 Nov 2008 21:05

I have nothing against marmaris, often have nights out there as the entertainment is better. But I kike to stay in Icmeler for it's beauty and laid back atmosphere.

Steve
salford_steve

Postby duffaire » 22 Nov 2008 08:17

We have been to Icmeler several times and as yet have never ventured out of the town, however we have obviously travelled through Marmaris on the way to Icmeler, in May we have promised ourselves a trip to Marmaris, but really don't know where to go, is it wheelchair friendly, and what are the best places to see, any help would be nice. :D :D :D :D :D
duffaire

Postby peli » 23 Nov 2008 15:13

Hi Duffaire
Have never stopped there its, never appealed to us, but no doubt others who have, can put you right on that.
We have been there numourous times on shopping expeditions etc, and I do know the town very well having driven all over,duering the last ten years or s. It is to me split into differant areas, a working town full of buisness, very much a shopping town and not just for tourists but for the true Turkish residents of the surrounding area, especialy behind the bazzar and the streets up from the Tansas. it has a wonderfull sea front especialy round to the marena. I would say the center is very buisy and cosmopolitan In fact it is a place you could spend hours wandering around, away from the sea front, In regard to wheelchair friendly I cant say it is, like most places in Turkey, sorry to say, To try to recomend anywhere is so hard becouse there is so much it has to offer. and as I say avery buisy place indeed, its a "working city" to me.
In regard to staying there I dont know becouse it is such a big place and the tourist areas are so vastly differant varying from the big seafront hotels to the thousands of appartments going inland up the side roads,
I personaly love the place to visit for the day, but as I said we havnt stopped there, no doubt others who have can offer their input on the particular area they have stayed in as I say it is a big place of varying atmospheres.
I can only suggest you get to the center square near the Attaturk statue and set off!! where ever you get to I think you will enjoy
Regards Peli
peli

Postby duffaire » 25 Nov 2008 22:55

Hi Peli
Thanks for the info, will probably try it for a day trip next year. :?:
duffaire

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Marmaris - Turunc Holiday Forum