Lal restaurant

Guestbooks for Hotels, Apartments, Restaurants, Bars and more...

Moderator: blondie

Lal restaurant

Postby shieldfield » 22 May 2010 11:03

(see here also: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10422 )

We went two nights running to this wonderful restaurant. There is a young Turkish man playing a Baglama or a Saz (not sure which) and singing haunting Turkish songs. I have no idea what they were about but they sounded like love songs and reminded me of Fado. The volume was a little too high but not enough to prevent conversation. The first night I had lamb shish and my partner had chicken with carrots and raisins and the second night we had the opposite because the food was so good. Neither of us drink alcohol and were both too full to have a second course (meze was served at no extra cost). With a glass of soda each the bill came to only 46 Lira for two! Even adding a tip made it cheaper than many of the more popular restaurants and, initially, we had been put off going in because it looked so expensive. The staff are attentive and pleasant without being over familiar and my only slight reservation is the ubiquitous chip.
Put this place on your list as a must.
shieldfield

Advertisement

Re: Lal restaurant

Postby waynesworld » 22 May 2010 17:05

Now thats what I call a recommendation.
waynesworld

Postby reesy1959 » 22 May 2010 18:31

I cant wait to try this place.
reesy1959

Postby reesy1959 » 22 May 2010 18:33

I had to google (ubiquitous) :lol:
reesy1959

Postby LynnJenny » 23 May 2010 11:26

were is it by
LynnJenny

Postby shieldfield » 23 May 2010 11:42

LynnJenny wrote:were is it by

It's past the Romance and on the other side just before Nefes Pide. I believe it was called Meyzan and you can find that on the "Around Icmeler Map" viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6091
shieldfield

Advertisement

Lal Restaurant

Postby blondie » 06 Jun 2010 19:05

This is new (where the former Meyzen was) and what a find it is. I personally think it's exactly the type of place Icmeler has been crying out for. Traditional Ottoman atmosphere and food - and we couldn't fault it. Part of it is under a canopy with bench seating and cushions, where a Turkish singer and musician provides the perfect accompaniment to your meal. The food is absolutely delicious - not a chip in sight! - from the selection of mezes to the desserts, again all traditional. The staff are attentive and helpful and we felt the prices were also reasonable compared to many other places. We ate here twice during our week and can honestly say they were the best two meals we had -and that's saying something, as we've yet to have a bad meal in Icmeler! Try it - I don't think you'll be disappointed. Definitely one of our new favourites!
blondie

Postby Rod Gen Alex » 09 Jun 2010 19:25

Sounds like a wonderful place. Will definately be going there.
Rod Gen Alex
New User
New User

Postby blondie » 09 Jun 2010 21:04

Can only echo the earlier comments - I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Everything about it is spot on - just what Icmeler needs, in my opinion. The food is lovely, service attentive and friendly - and the atmosphere, music, etc, is all wonderful. We ate here twice during the week and it's definitely one of our favourites now. Do try it - you won't be disappointed.
blondie

Postby ajgaj » 19 Jun 2010 10:16

we also visited twice in the last 2 weeks each time we took different friends with us each time so thats another 3 groups of holiday makers highly impressed with Lal :D
ajgaj

Postby david7weeks1d » 06 Jul 2010 00:41

Hi i was very fortunate to go to Lal on several occassions..the first was for the 75th wedding celebration for Albert and Marian which John organised...it was spectacular. The place is fitted out like a plush bedouin tent, food is excellent and staff exceptionally welcoming. Another time i went for a Sunday Turkish breakfast enough food to sink a ship....It is a place to go to escape into a real Turkish slice of life.....to relax, eat good food ,listen to some local music .....and it's only about 2 minutes walk from the main road of Icmeler just up from Dias supermarket..
david7weeks1d
New User
New User

Advertisement

Postby ochlynda » 14 Jul 2010 17:35

Ate here once last week, food was lovely and hubby and I really enjoyed it. Only problem they really don't cater for kids. Our Niamh is fairly adventurous in her eating. However they refused to do her a half portion of anything on the menu. The only thing they could offer her was a grilled chicken fillet, didn't go down well with Niamh. Will have to save this eating place for when there is only hubby and I.

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby John V » 14 Jul 2010 17:41

Is the Lal restaurant now getting full to capacity on a night time and if so is recommended that tables are booked.
John V

Postby ochlynda » 14 Jul 2010 17:52

The night we went they had plenty of free tables.

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby jambogarry » 09 Aug 2010 10:41

YumYum :)
The wife and myself enjoyed this but the kids were harder to please.
Very good service and food.
I had a Beyti kebab ( spelling) and the wife had a clay pot thing filled with lamb , veg, nuts, raisins. The kids had plain old shish kebab :) .
No kids menu so our two youngest kids shared a meal ( I dont mean nuggets, burgers) as we did not expect them to serve this type of food., and the oldest ( callum ) had a lamb sizzler type dish.

Meze to start with was very nice as we could see+ pick what we wanted.
For the main meal I found it hard to choose something that did not have nuts,raisins in it, so just went for the kebab. ( I hate nuts in cooked food :( ).

It is a very relaxing place to visit and the staff made us all feel welcome.
We only visited once as the kids did not think much of it, but mum and dad would easily go back.
Most nights when we walked past it was dead yet they always had live music on for thoose who did dine.

Great place and we are happy we gave it a try.
jambogarry

Postby QueenBee » 25 Aug 2010 14:08

I ate there a couple of weeks ago - FANTASTIC. I thoroughly recommend this place and can't wait to go there again in October!
QueenBee
New User
New User

Advertisement

Postby Erik The Viking » 28 Aug 2010 19:21

Without doubt the most overpriced, over-rated restaurant i have ever been to in Icmeler, food and service was terrible. The mezes were an astonishing 5-7 lira EACH and were worse than the free ones elsewhere. 5 of us and 6 pieces of bread, we asked for more and were given a few hard offcuts. The starters came out at different times, 2 out the 5 were totally wrong and another 15 minute wait for the right ones. The staff were shocked that we wanted our plates replaced between courses. The mains were slightly better although the lamb chops were the worst i have ever seen, bones with fatty lumps at the end. I had a lamb casserole which was very nice but another of our party had the lamb shish and it was small and tough.

I was really, really disappointed as had seen all the good ratings, guy playing guitar live was relaxing but english owner walking round looking as miserable as hell, not talking to any customers and constantly blowing fag smoke over the tables spoilt it further.

Sorry but we wont be wasting any more money here.
Erik The Viking

Postby pops » 08 Oct 2010 08:21

We were in the LAL last Sunday, 3/10/10. We had saved this place till last....our last holiday meal, something special, based on forum recommendations. Wonderful atmosphere but the meal was not great.
"All meals served with potatoes, butter and mint" it said on the menu. Potato wedges and rice is what we were served.
My wife however, did have a decent meal. Crockpot chicken. "Very nice" she said "but nothing special". On the other hand the lamb shanks served to me were VERY bland and as the accompanying "wedges" were not what we were expecting we probably will not be returning next year.
At 53 lira for just the two meals, it was the most expensive meal we ate in 2 weeks......and the poorest quality.
Sorry to burst anyones bubble but MUCH better food and better service is available elsewhere at a fraction of the cost.
pops

Postby ochlynda » 14 Oct 2010 08:59

This time just hubby and I and to be honest was very poor compared to the meal we had in July. Hubby had the lamb Shanks and these had to be sent back twice the first time the lamb was cold in the middle, and I mean fridge cold, so back they went this time they came back all dried out. It was obvious they had gave them to long in the microwave, my meal was ok chicken topika (excuse spell) no sauce and to be honest the chicken was over cooked. On a positive note the starters were lovely, but given the price we paid and the standard this time of the mains I really don't think we will be back again.

Lynda
ochlynda

Postby Patricia_Lal » 31 May 2011 04:12

Worst resturant ever. After being told not to order to much starter, as the main meal is huge.I recieved 4 meatballs as a main meal for 21 lira. We also asked about wine, which waiter asked for our opinion on. We were charged 16 lira for 2 small glasses of wine, which we were asked to try. Came out of that resturant disappointed and still feeling hungery.
Patricia_Lal
New User
New User

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Guestbooks.