Adil Supermarket closed - a sign of the times?

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Adil Supermarket closed - a sign of the times?

Postby ScouseFitz » 27 Mar 2017 09:47

The Adil supermarket, on the corner opposite Sun Village, have decided not to open this year. Such a shame, they're a lovely family, and would do anything for you, but it's tricky for these small businesses to stay open when there are so many supermarket chains moving into the area. Two Sok supermarkets have already opened, and now another, an A100 shop, is opening just opposite from Backstage and almost next door to the Wembley bar. So many changes this year, it makes you wonder what Icmeler is becoming, and where it will all end??
ScouseFitz

Advertisement

Re: Adil Supermarket closed - a sign of the times?

Postby ian » 27 Mar 2017 12:09

no no no,,,your thinking about this all the wrong way ! embrace the changes,they,re great news for icmeler ! why the last few years its went from jam packed restaurants that you had to queue for a seat for 30 minutes,,,standing next to all the families enjoying themselves,,,now you can walk straight in to empty bars and restaurants and pick any seat you want,,,instead of the deafening music that some thought was to loud over 20 decibels you can now be deafened by the silence !or the sound of jcb,s flattening the bar next door ! someone said " the school of thought " was more turks are going to be spending there holidays in icmeler which is good news,,,im all for that,,,,but and heres the but,prices in icmeler are already cut to the bone,,theres a reason why all these supermarkets are taking over the family run business,,,the turks on holiday make breakfast,,,lunch,,,but sometimes do eat out for evening meal,,they dont pay the same for accommodation or meals or the dolmus,,,or there drinks,,,we pay tourists rates which the local economy need to see them through the winter months , so in one hand is great that we have extra people in the resort on the other its not going to make a noticeable difference to the small business thats already feeling the effects of these fantastic changes !
ian

Postby blondie » 27 Mar 2017 13:43

I understand people don't like many of the changes which are happening in Icmeler - but I'm not entirely sure what any of us, as tourists, is supposed to do about them? We don't live there - we don't have a say in what goes on there all year round. Instead of simply ranting about it, does anyone have any positive or constructive suggestions in that regard? I'm not having a go at anyone here either - but I'm not sure what we, as visitors who perhaps only spend a few weeks there each year, can do about it on a practical level.
blondie

Postby ian » 27 Mar 2017 14:48

well blondie theres nothing we can do about the changes that have had a devastating impact on the best holiday resort in turkey,,,the facts can never be hidden,,,you were one of the first to come on this forum and say you couldn,t wait to embrace the changes ! i was in turkey at that time and can clearly remember my many replies to your posts 3 yrs ago,,,even now your last post says " i understand people dont like many of the changes " which clearly doesn,t include yourself,there has been many good changes made by the mayor and many bad ones,,its up to the people of icmeler to make there vote count,many businesses have closed for good and i fear many more will follow,,,i will continue to support the people of icmeler by way of remaining to holiday there,you may not like hearing the truth from me but at least i tell it the way it is,you can call it a rant if you like but iv,e had the most fantastic holidays in icmeler and i feel very passionate about that place,,,to have it on its knees in such a short time is a travesty ,,,,well this rant is over and profile will be deleted,,,i genuinely wish ALL the members on this forum many more happy holidays in icmeler.

Ian.
ian

Postby blondie » 27 Mar 2017 15:10

I will also continue to holiday in Icmeler - although we do intend to get out and explore more of Turkey too, as we have grown to love the country very much and would like to see more of the less touristy areas. I still maintain that your view of the changes all depends on what you personally are looking from for a holiday - but you're never going to please everyone. I know there are many people who think the changes which have been made in Marmaris, for instance, have improved the place considerably - so only time will tell about the impact on Icmeler. I'm sure it will still be there long after we are all gone...
blondie

Postby smc4761 » 27 Mar 2017 18:08

Like it or not Ian, and you obviously dont like the changes. the resort has changed and will continue to change. It was very much a resort, aimed at the British market and some European countries, Germany, Holland to a lesser extent. This changed a few years ago when the Russians started to come. It is now changing again with a greater emphasis to the local Turkish market.

This will take a few years to happen but I think it will. The resort will be split between Brits and local Turks. Maybe that is why we are seeing more of the "chain" supermarkets moving in

Yes the changes have impacted on numbers, many dont like the market going, stalls at canal going,no music after midnight and maybe their favourite illegal build has gone. But I think that a lack of numbers is down to that plus, the fear of terrorism, expensive flights Euroland places like Spain and Greece dropping their prices and quite simply people wanting to try somewhere new

Icmeler is trying to revert to a slightly upmarket quiet resort and leave Marmaris to those who are looking for something livlier
smc4761

Advertisement

Postby south coast hero » 27 Mar 2017 20:21

Blondie and smc4761 you two are probably in the top five experts on Icmeler, and are certainly two of the most respected, but Ians words could have been written by myself, they are bang on.
We will continue with Icmeler but at some point we may look elsewhere.
Will the resort care ?
When the Brits vote with there feet they will !!
south coast hero

Postby cmac » 27 Mar 2017 23:14

Ian, we get the message. You have your opinion and that is exactly what it is, an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Icmeler had to clean up its act, and while some liked some of the changes and others did not, what's done is done. I used to like a stroll down by the canal stalls, but they are long gone, but you get used to it. Obviously what is happening in nearby countries was going to impact, but if you want a "Brit filled" holiday, Marmaris is just around the bay, plenty of tacky "Britishness" there. I, for one, prefer less Union flags, full english etc at every corner. Icmeler will continue to develop and grow. People will still go back as it is a beautiful little town, and no bad thing that the mayor et al has clamped down on illegal trades etc. Would you like it in your town ? I know i wouldn't. Roll on 3rd July for another blissful 2 weeks in the sun.
cmac

Postby smc4761 » 27 Mar 2017 23:27

I have been reading back on Ian's posts from 2014 and in many ways he was correct. Is the resort quiter because of lack of entertainment which in turn may put families off coming. Possibly, but then I think what exactly was the entertainment?

Waiters dancing, Michael Jackson routines Tina Turner routines, Robot dancer. Now we all like different things but in my eyes the entertainment was poor and soo repetitive, I had seen all of these things 100 times before and it never changed. Dont get me wrong the dancing waiters were not my cup of tea but the guys did put a lot of effort in. Some folks did like this

Last year there was entertainment of a different variety on in numerous bars, some live entertainment, which seemed to be popular. Much as I would like to see some live acts like say they have in Benidorm, tribute acts, I think that is very unlikely due to employment laws in Turkey.

Icmeler has changed significantly and I think it is a little unsure as to what direction to go in, stay as it was or try to move on. Again my opinion there were too many bars/restaurants, some of which were illegal and the resort had to move on. Its like most things the strong will survive and prosper the poorer places will close

I think that Icmeler is trying to become a more upmarket resort, look at the number of better quality bigger hotels now, not for me but I am sure others will like this. Icmeler is trying to move away from the cheap and cheerful image and as I stated in an earlier post trying to attract more Turks and their families. There are more chain supermarkets, more Pide places and "places that the locals will eat at"

I am off for my 2 week jaunt 8 weeks tomorrow and the bottom line a holiday is what you make of it; a chance to meet new people, perhaps make good friends, as many on here have done over the years.

I intend to enjoy my holiday, I work hard for it,and dancing waiters or not,it will be good
smc4761

Postby south coast hero » 28 Mar 2017 18:56

Some good points smc. We stay at The Varol and they have a mixture of British and Turkish tourists.
All i would say is that the Turks,---and this is not a criticism--- are not really spenders.
They go to the supermarket and mainly self cater, so although they are boosting the economy by staying at the hotels, the bars, restaurants, clothes shops etc do not see too much lira.
I went on Captain Bullsh**s boat once on a mainly Turkish congregation and i can tell you Ali's takings behind the bar were not what he is used to.
Add to that the Russians who are known for self cater/ no spend and we could see a fairly busy resort but not many people spending money.
We then all know where that leads.
south coast hero

Postby geordie1970 » 29 Mar 2017 10:15

Morning all, just popped in for a quick look and thought I'd add a comment.

Myself and Mrs G are very disappointed with the changes, which have been mentioned before many, many times :( .. so much so that we can't see ourselves coming back to Icmeler in the near future ... in fact this year will be the 1st time that we won't be visiting 'paradise' for over 6 years (we were going twice a year) and have decided to try other places outside of Turkey.

When we visited over that 1st year or 2 we couldn't get enough of the place and loved the vibrancy, friendliness, relaxed way of life etc and made some really good friends in the local Bars/Restaurants ... the entertainment was repetitive and wasn't the reason why we continued to go back, but it gave the place a good buzz, also the music ban didn't help, with many closing who didn't comply with what was required of their building and those that did seemed to have lost that magical atmosphere by being shut in to what felt like an enclosed space, rather than feeling the warmth by sitting outside even at 2am :shock:

It's hard to put our finger on exactly what's went wrong for us, there are too many factors, but it's just not been the same? We loved the food, which hasn't really changed, but like others have said going into a very quiet restaurant isn't the same and sometimes puts you off going in and you hunt for the 'busy' ones, we'll miss the Ozgi Boat trips (wonderful family) which is a fantastic way of having a relaxing day in good company.

Here's hoping things do improve and one day we'll be back to see if it has.

G and Mrs G
geordie1970

Advertisement

Postby mansy » 30 Mar 2017 19:32

We are pretty much the same as you Geordie. After 15 years or so, twice a year until now, it breaks my heart to think we may never return. Soon there will be very little of what we loved left. There is a saying...if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I do hope it improves for all. One thing they can't change is that beautiful bay...
mansy

Postby smc4761 » 30 Mar 2017 20:18

Well I am now officially on countdown to my time in Icmeler. Just booked my transfer and with only 7 weeks 5 days to fo it cant come soon enough

To be honest things like the lack of entertainment do not bother us, we prefer to sit in a restaurant bar and simply talk, or if there is a quiz on take part

Not all changes have been for the better, I think most can agree on that, but on balance, weather, cost, flights, apartments,food, people, the resort, Icmeler still does it for us

Wherever you decide to go on holiday I wish you a wonderful holiday
smc4761

Postby patsiej » 30 Mar 2017 21:34

Dear smc4761

I agree with you whole heartedly!! I'm also on countdown. Last June Icmeler was very quiet....it was lovely. Not good for Turkey but great for me.

Our evening consists of a sundowner, a stroll to decide where to eat, food and a bottle of wine whilst we watch the world go by. Maybe another stroll and drink catching up with friends. We don't watch dancing waiters or the other 'entertainment' - we've seen it all before so avoid those places and leave them to people who do enjoy them.

I really don't know what all the moaning is about - we, as tourists, are visitors. If you don't like it then go elsewhere. Simple.

Patsiej
patsiej

Postby Amelia12 » 31 Mar 2017 15:48

I have been reading the comments on the supermarket closure. When I first joined this forum several years ago there was a lot of talk about tacky entertainment and the ban on the music. I seem to recall a lot of members were all for it. My thoughts were it was a big enough resort for everyone to make their own choices. If you didn't like the music etc, you had the choice to go to another bar, and likewise if you wanted music. There was something to suit all tastes. The resort even a few years back was packed with tourists. It had a good family vibe about it. Now you can stroll into bars/restaurants and they are practically empty. There is very little atmosphere. Its not just the music/entertainment ban but also high flight prices and the threat of terrorism. I really hope that things improve but I can't see how. I used to go 2/3 times every year but it just isn't the same. Its a shame but I don't think some of the recent decisions in resort have in any way helped. The workers all work so hard but even they are saying that they have been thinking of working elsewhere as they are bored. Fingers crossed that things improve as I love Icmeler :D
Amelia12

Postby acko338 » 02 Apr 2017 22:42

31 Turkish holidays in 18 years but not this year.

The emptiness and rise in flight and meal costs have turned us to Spain.

A lack of any form of live entertainment is another factor.

LOVE the place and people, but there is very little for tourists returning to old haunts.

The way that the council authorities are tightening up will only force more tourists away.

I CAN'T JUSTIFY MY WIFE BEING BORED 7 DAYS INTO A 2 WEEK HOLIDAY !!

Please wake up Turkey before it is too late !
acko338

Advertisement

Postby sandybeach » 11 Apr 2017 02:07

ScouseFitz wrote:The Adil supermarket, on the corner opposite Sun Village, have decided not to open this year. Such a shame, they're a lovely family, and would do anything for you, but it's tricky for these small businesses to stay open when there are so many supermarket chains moving into the area. Two Sok supermarkets have already opened, and now another, an A100 shop, is opening just opposite from Backstage and almost next door to the Wembley bar. So many changes this year, it makes you wonder what Icmeler is becoming, and where it will all end??

Really sad to read that they are closing as i enjoyed many chats here with the family. Such a lovely kind family they used to give me a present when i left, when they was cooking they always shared the food with me and when i wanted some oranges to put in my Pimms she sent her son to her neighbours garden to pick off the tree. Will miss them, very much.
Sandy
sandybeach

Postby gaylemcvey » 11 Apr 2017 19:14

So sad always used this supermarket when we stayed in SunVillage sorry for the family
gaylemcvey

Postby bode5997 » 17 Apr 2017 20:24

should we embrace the changes.........or not?
bode5997

Postby ScouseFitz » 20 Apr 2017 11:15

Gaylemcvey/sandybeach, you're right, they are a lovely family. We used them a few times each day, when staying at sun village or Rhodes. We were at the Rhodes last year in August and got the feeling they were struggling as it was so quiet. Such a shame.
ScouseFitz

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum