Problems with wasps?

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Problems with wasps?

Postby Caltonian » 01 May 2012 17:57

I think I stumbled across a comment a couple of weeks back where someone mentioned that the wasps nests are moved up in to the mountains at the end of season, which means the back of the old town can become infested with angry wasps?

We are staying in the Grand Aquarium from mid to late September. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for us? I detest the little buggers due to suffering a bad attack from a hive when I was a kid and although I would never let them spoil my holiday no matter how bad the problem was, am I going to be on tenterhooks around our hotel and in the old town area when we are there?
Caltonian

Advertisement

Re: Problems with wasps?

Postby cassielucy » 01 May 2012 18:25

From previous experience I know the wasps are always more of a problem in Sept than June - we go twice a year. Have never stayed in the old town ourselves but friends of ours stayed at Julian Forest in Sept a couple of years ago and said the wasps were a real nuisance there - she got stung several times and it made her really nervous of wasps on consequent hols. They will not stay in old town now for that reason.
cassielucy

Postby noodles1609 » 01 May 2012 18:26

I wouldn't call them angry at all, more like drugged up and dozy. I got stung in September because one was crawling slowly over the arm of my sun lounger and I squished it with my elbow! They were also on the floor slowly dying so standing on them is a hazard too. There definitely wasn't an issue with them buzzing around, they seem to appear from nowhere very slowly and then don't move much!

Oh, and they are bee's rather than wasps - that kinda makes them a bit friendlier too I think :lol:
noodles1609

Postby Caltonian » 01 May 2012 18:34

noodles1609 wrote:I wouldn't call them angry at all, more like drugged up and dozy. I got stung in September because one was crawling slowly over the arm of my sun lounger and I squished it with my elbow! They were also on the floor slowly dying so standing on them is a hazard too. There definitely wasn't an issue with them buzzing around, they seem to appear from nowhere very slowly and then don't move much!

Oh, and they are bee's rather than wasps - that kinda makes them a bit friendlier too I think :lol:

Bees, I have no problems with whatsoever. They tend to only get irritated when they need to defend themselves so I just let them do their thing and ignore them. Wasps are a different kettle of fish altogether tho, they seem to take great delight in stinging as many people as possible before they die off for the winter.

@ cassielucy: I had heard Julian Forest was really bad given its closer proximity to the mountains.....does anyone know if GA suffers the same problem?
Caltonian

Postby shastie » 01 May 2012 20:17

There were quite a lot of bees on the sand on the beach last September and the September before that. Hubby was stung once. You need to keep your eyes on the sand when walking about or you could be stung on your foot.
shastie

Postby attard » 01 May 2012 20:19

We have stayed in the old village in September for a couple of weeks a couple of years running. Did not notice the wasps in old village but were pestered by them down on the beach when lying on sunbeds. To be honest that is one of the reasons we are not returning in September. Have never seen so many wasps. We now go to Side in Sept., dont see any wasps down that end. Also been to Olu Deniz in Sept never seen any there either.
attard

Advertisement

Postby Chris » 01 May 2012 21:24

They are bees !,they are dying off in September and dozy.Watch where you walk around the pool area,best to wear sandals,they are not just in the old village though,we stay in the centre and have them there also.Never seen them in June,only September.
Chris

Postby tony-s » 01 May 2012 21:58

i remember a few years ago lounging around in the prince with friends, i got stung on the big toe whilst carrying 2 large beers from the bar, i hopped all the way round the pool and never spilled a drop, they all found it really funny, not me, my toe was throbbing all day, died away though after 4 or 5 more beers....lol...true story.
tony-s

Postby Southampton_Girl » 02 May 2012 09:56

yes Icmeler honey bees... :-)

September/October 2010 20 stings in 14 days... eeek!
But only 1 sting in September 2011
None in June 2010...

I'm going in June 2012... :-))))
Southampton_Girl

Postby daisysun » 02 May 2012 10:04

This may be a stupid question :oops: but this post has just got me thinking as we are going in sept.
If you do get stung how do you treat a sting? (should maybe brush up on some first aid)
I have never been stung before but i remember when i was a child my brother got stung and he was allergic to it and ended up in hospital!!
daisysun

Postby Southampton_Girl » 02 May 2012 10:28

You can get little devices you can carry with around with you - if you get stung you stab yourself with this device and it helps

I'd never been stung before late September/ October - I guess I was lucky. But I've been told that as I was stung so much I could now be allergic.

Maybe you can visit your GP before you travel and ask about this especially if you have a family member that was allergic. You may be able to get something to take with you (just in case). Always better to be prepared than not. :-0

Also, they don't come after you... they just hover and rest as they are dosy and it's when you are lounging and decide to move over / turn over, you may lay on them and they sting (not really their fault).

Sometimes you don't even feel the sting... honest! :-)
Southampton_Girl

Advertisement

Postby Sami » 02 May 2012 10:43

I got stung right on the bum! It was really painful and made me cry, as pathetic as that sounds but a bit of ice and vinegar and it was a lot better. I remember they seemed to be dropping from the sky and would slowly drop dead around the pool. This particular little devil plopped down behind me on the sunbed whilst I was leaning over for me cold Efes, as I then leaned back, bang, right in the left bum cheek!!!!
Sami

Postby karens » 02 May 2012 10:48

We went for the first time August last year and it was terrible, we were at the Babadan apts, my 5 year old boy stood on one around the pool, but as others have said, they are very docile but plenty of them, think theyre just all around to be honest. also my hubby got stung on the neck in a restaurant on the evening!!! luckily the waiter saw it and got a fresh lemon cut in half and apparently the lemon takes the sting out and stops it from swelling up, great if your somewhere that has a lemon handy, otherwise somehow I dont think you usually carry a lemon around with you!!!
karens

Postby Brownie1 » 02 May 2012 12:51

Never had a problem but always spray lemon cologne before venturing out anyway!
Brownie1

Postby mazz » 02 May 2012 16:28

Always carry a tube of bite and sting cream with you - I always get stung at some point during my September holiday.

Anthisan is one of the best creams I've used - you can get it at most supermarkets here (first aid section) and it's not expensive.

Mazz
mazz

Postby jmelia128 » 02 May 2012 17:08

[quote="Southampton_Girl"]You can get little devices you can carry with around with you - if you get stung you stab yourself with this device and it helps

Is that because whatever you have just stabbed yourself with hurts more than the bee sting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jmelia128

Advertisement

Postby worlass » 02 May 2012 21:51

yep. they are honey bees and seem to be everywhere in September. there were loads last year. i got stung 3 times. as they are bees you could carry some tweezers around just in case, and pull the sting out. Someone in our group always hasn some handy. i then use an afterbite pen or anthisan cream. it hurts for a bit then is ok......and the Efes deffo helps the recovery process!!
worlass

Postby Southampton_Girl » 03 May 2012 08:05

uh yes... cos getting stung by a honey bee just isn't painful enough!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will check the interent and post up what this little thingy device is called for all those worried...

What made me laugh is the local Turkish boys saying that they had to suck out the sting - arrrrhhh no no no not when the sting is close to my bikini top!! the cheek of it.... they do like to try!
Southampton_Girl

Postby Sami » 03 May 2012 11:21

Southampton_Girl wrote:uh yes... cos getting stung by a honey bee just isn't painful enough!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will check the interent and post up what this little thingy device is called for all those worried...

What made me laugh is the local Turkish boys saying that they had to suck out the sting - arrrrhhh no no no not when the sting is close to my bikini top!! the cheek of it.... they do like to try!

Funny enough, that comment was made when I got stung on the bum....... I would say the cheek of it but pardon the pun!!!! :lol:
Sami

Postby noodles1609 » 03 May 2012 12:02

Do you mean one of these - a zapper that gives you a little electric shock to take the sting away? http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOSQUITO-STINGI ... B002AXL266

I had one of these, didn't work for me, but then not much does, I blister from mossies and ants and the whole of my arm swelled up when I got the bee sting!

(Might work on the Turkish boys though!)
noodles1609

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum