Haggling

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

Haggling

Postby Lynne C » 19 Mar 2005 21:08

hello everyone,
I'm going to Icmeler for my second time in may. We visited last year, and bought some things but, this may sound silly, didn't haggle very much as we weren't sure how much to offer etc, and didn't want to be cheeky! :?
I was wondering if anyone could give us any tips on haggling, it would be much appreciated,
Thanx, Lynne
Lynne C
New User
New User

Advertisement

Postby Guest » 20 Mar 2005 09:01

:roll: Hi Lynne, I hate haggling sometimes I just don't bother buying what I really want because I cant stand it any longer. I usually have a price in my head that I think is fair and try to get as close as poss. I hate it if they start getting agresive not that that happens too much, I prefer to see what someone else has paid and work around that ! - chicken eh?
karenx :oops:

Postby Penny » 20 Mar 2005 09:22

:D Ok a little help. For example you want T-shirts, look around and check prices as they do vary, decide on the person to buy from. Say he's selling 8 for £10, pick out 8 and then another 2, offer the £10, very rarely do they refuse, just be firm and say you can get 10 further along. If necessary start to walk away. You haven't dropped the price, just got more for your money!! One more hint, otherwise all my secrets will be out!! :x If an item is priced at say £20, offer £10 and that will start the haggling, if you end up paying £12 - £15, that should be ok. Don't forget there are 2 price markets, one for the locals and another for tourists, so whatever price they quote half it to start haggling, don't be put off by stories of I have thousands of children to feed etc etc.
Happy Haggling :)
Penny
Penny

Postby Guest » 21 Mar 2005 11:46

one more tip if you start to haggle and they agree a price and you agree and then you dont buy this is when traders will get annoyed, so if you want it haggle if you dont say you are just looking. Haggling is all part of the fun in turkey and yes the traders will spin a few lines like have children to feed, my mother is ill and yes hey are wrng to use them, but do remeber that after all it is there buisness and livelyood still. also we all spind lines like i got no money left and im going home tommmrrow etc.
its all part of the game.

Postby Lynne C » 24 Mar 2005 08:15

Thanks everyone, thats great, hopefully i'll do a bit better this time round!! :D
Lynne C
New User
New User

shopping...

Postby guest » 28 Apr 2005 15:50

Hi! We're going to Icmeler in two weeks...first time and really looking forward to it. We want to bring back a hubba pipe (don't know the proper name, sorry).....can anyone tell me what to expect to pay please?

Advertisement

Postby JT » 29 Apr 2005 04:22

At the most £20 but I have seen them for just over £10
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2005 15:41

Thanks for the info admin.......could anyone tell me the correct name for these pipes please?

Postby Penny » 29 Apr 2005 15:52

Nargile water pipe
Penny

Postby Neets36 » 29 Apr 2005 16:03

I know this might sound daft but what do you do with a Nargile Water Pipe? :oops:
Neets36

Nargile water pipe.

Postby steve » 29 Apr 2005 19:12

we have been to icmeler 3 times and never heard of hubba pipe or nargile water pipe. we will be going on monday and are entriged. will it fit in my case, and will it be under my 20 kg allowance, and is it legal. :lol:
steve

Advertisement

Postby JT » 29 Apr 2005 19:19

JT
Admin
Admin

pipe

Postby steve » 29 Apr 2005 20:49

Thanks for the link of course we have seen them in many places but never knew what they were called.
we will be in icmeller on monday.Will your new bar be open to come and have a drink and will you be doing food?
steve

Postby JT » 29 Apr 2005 21:11

will be open and will do snacks
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » 29 Apr 2005 21:16

Great! See you next week.
Steve

shopping

Postby guest » 02 May 2005 15:25

Hi! Whilst we've been on holiday in other countries, we've always found it difficult finding presents for our young grandchildren. Could you tell me if there are toy shops or suchlike in Icmeler please?

Advertisement

Postby JT » 02 May 2005 15:47

There are shops and market stalls all over Icmeler and not forgetting the market.
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby Guest » 02 May 2005 19:12

Sounds good John.....should be able to find them something nice then!
Thanks!

Postby Guest » 07 May 2005 15:12

I think that if you like something you should pay the asking price which is going to be cheep anyway.
Remember these people are poorly paid anyway compared to us, they too deserve to make a living.

Hookah Pipe

Postby Jay&Nige » 09 May 2005 15:43

We got one of these in October,,, from Hamish, next to the Onat apartments towards the back of town. (same road as the Market and school)
He did us a great price and we stocked up on flavoured tobacco too. The pipes come apart in 3 sections,,, Main Glass Jar, Top cup section and the pipe. Hamish kindly wrapped them up nice and secure in loads of newspaper and it all went in a carrier bag. and we took it home as hand luggage with no problems.

We did some research when we got home and found several suppliers of the coals and tobacco on the net. Although we will be stocking up on tobacco when we go back to Icmeler in 11 days (May 20th) yes I am counting the days. Much better to buy your tobacco in Turkey as its so much nicer to taste before you buy :lol:

Hamish is a star and will prob get his pipe out for you to try if you ask him nicely. (If you see him. say hi from BIG Jay and nige). The cherry tobacco is still my fav. We use ours most weekends and have tried lots of the tips of this site.. :idea: (fanta lemon instead of water in the glass jar is Mmm zinngy)

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/generic.html?pid=4

Roll on 30th May....... weeeeeeheyyyyyyy :)
Jay&Nige

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Icmeler - Turkey Holiday Forum