September 10-17th - review

Click here to enter the holiday forum for Icmeler.

Moderators: blondie, Rami Off Work

September 10-17th - review

Postby blondie » 20 Sep 2016 17:07

Flew from Edinburgh with Easyjet - on arrival at Dalaman, there were customs staff situated just at the exit doors and they had stopped a couple just in front of us, so be warned! Our transfer driver was waiting for us and we enjoyed a quick and troublefree journey to Icmeler. We were staying at the Efem apartments in the old village, just up from Sidik's family restaurant and Tipsi Burger, and were given the choice of an apartment on the ground floor or one on the second. We opted for the ground floor one, as it seemed slightly more spacious. The apartments are nice - our kitchen even had a toaster, which we haven't often seen in apartments - and spotlessly clean. Nice pool area too, with a slide which is switched on twice a day - although there was a certain amount of sunbed hogging going on while we were there. Didn't bother us though as we don't spend all day around the pool anyway. It was very hot during our stay, so the aircon was a must. Icmeler was very busy that week with Turkish visitors in the resort for the Bayram holiday - the beaches were packed and the little Turkish restaurants were all heaving. We enjoyed some fantastic food - our favourite (as ever) was Meryem Yemek Evi, where we enjoyed breakfast, lunch and a couple of evening meals, including a wonderful mixed grill with an additional dish of liver. Now I never eat liver - but this is exceptional and cooked to perfection. They are lovely people there too - always happy to explain their dishes and recommend something. We also ate at Kardelen, Kayra Pide, Kebab 42 and Cadde Pide - all of which offer lovely Turkish food at good value prices, and had a couple of lunchtime snacks at Babam on the beachfront, Waffleland and Tommy's bar. We also enjoyed the village breakfast at Backstage (make sure you ask for the village breakfast and not simply the Turkish one) - it was huge, and we went back a second time and asked if they could just make us the menemen and sucuk yumurta, which they were happy to do. Average price for beer seemed to be 10-12TL in most places - you can get a cooked breakfast from as little as 5TL in some places and many restaurants were offering good value set menus - three courses (some including a drink) for 27TL upwards. As it was so hot, we didn't really do much other than enjoy a relaxing week - although we did take the water taxi to Turunc one day, returning over the mountain on the dolmus.
blondie

Advertisement

Re: September 10-17th - review

Postby sunlover loch lomond » 20 Sep 2016 19:10

Another excellent review blondiescot and very informative. You sure packed a lot into your week and sounds like you had a great time. Nice to hear that the restaurants were busier even if it was because of the Turkish holiday and there would be a real buzz around the resort.
sunlover loch lomond

Postby ScouseFitz » 26 Sep 2016 12:29

Great review Blondie. I MUST get round to doing mine! Efem is one of the places we looked at for next year. How was it?

Paul
ScouseFitz

Postby blondie » 26 Sep 2016 14:17

Efem was ok - good location, our ground floor room was fairly spacious and well-equipped, few little things which could do with a bit of attention, such as the bathroom. Good shower and plenty of hot water, but just a few little touches needing finished off. Maybe we were just a bit unlucky but there was a large and very noisy family staying there when we arrived, who seemed to take over the pool area, and then after they left, another lot arrived on our last day and did the same - I think the fact that it has a slide which is switched on twice a day is a bit of an attraction for families. There also seemed to be quite a bit of sunbed hogging going on - towels down really early but no sign of anyone until later on. That wasn't really a problem for us, as we don't tend to spend our days around the pool, but it could be annoying for some people. The music round the pool was often pretty loud as well. As I say, for what we paid, it was fine - but I'm not sure I would stay there again.
blondie

Postby smc4761 » 27 Sep 2016 19:23

Thanks for taking the time to review. Its great to read other peoples opinions.

In defence of the Efem, noisy families, there is not a lot the owners can do about this unless it is OTT and perhaps very late at night. Been on a few holidays where large families totally take over everywhere and I agree it is a pain

Sunbed hogging is a pain but again fairly limited what apartments can do. Perhaps they could remove towels bu very few owners seem to have the will to do this. Its simply selfish behaviour on the part of holidaymakers

On of the reasons I would not book Efem or indeed any apartment with slides is that this will attract children and I get that. The missus and I just want a peacful apartment, with little noise, its an age thing, I am slowly turning into Victor Meldrew.

Loud music round the pool is also a pain and maybe the owners could have turned it down. Guessing they are playing it loud to cater for the clientele sitting round the pool?
smc4761

Postby blondie » 27 Sep 2016 19:42

Oh yes, not blaming Efem at all for that - just unfortunate timing that the two noisy families happened to be there at the same time as we were. Anywhere with slides is always going to be popular with families though, I guess - which is another reason why I'd probably opt for somewhere else next time. Nothing against families, but we've been there, done that and now just prefer somewhere a bit more peaceful...
blondie

Advertisement

Postby JT » 28 Sep 2016 02:21

Hahahaha Stewart I read your reply and thought of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnhfvGdmmw
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby ScouseFitz » 28 Sep 2016 11:41

Hahaha, JT!

I best explain myself, as I seem to have started something here. Obviously, we can't always guarantee that no large groups will be there, I get that. We're just after somewhere quiet and relaxed. Yes, the slide does attract families, and that's fine. I can't stand loud music all day around the pool though. We do tend to spend our days, or most of them, around the pool, as my better half and daughters like that - I can't sit still so I'm usually off walking or buzzing round on a scooter.

Also, as we're still just about in the grip of school holidays, we can only really visit in August, and when I looked at Efem last month, it was very busy with families and loud music so put me off a little. I must stress, this is just my preference for peace and quiet, not a criticism. Our girls were little too once, and we loved the slide when we stayed at Moonlight.

The shame of all this is that we wouldn't even be looking if it weren't for the fact that the place we want to go to have decided to go independent next year, only taking private bookings, with no support from travel agents. I book through ICR for a reason. I like that support. I like the fact I can turn to someone if something goes wrong with my booking.

While my early onset Meldrewism kicks in, I'll keep looking.....

Cheers
Paul
ScouseFitz

Postby JT » 28 Sep 2016 15:28

I will find you somewhere dont worry

New stuff coming which you will like
JT
Admin
Admin

Postby blondie » 28 Sep 2016 18:22